Saturday, June 18, 2011


So many kind words on here and twitter. I can't thank you enough for your thoughts and prayers. They seriously mean the world to us. 

I figured since I made this huge announcement, I should just go ahead and answer the most commonly asked questions. I am sure I will be asked them a million times once the shock wears off and might as well have it done! ;)

What age are you adopting?
We are signed up to foster up to age 5 and adopt up to age 3. We honestly don't feel like we can handle much older. We are 26 and feel like those are the ages we are comfortable with. 

Does race matter?
Not. At. All.

How many?
One or two at a time. Most likely just one.

Where will they sleep? 
We get this one most often from people we know in real life. We have a fairly small three bedroom house. One room is our master, one is my art room and one is the office. They will go in the office. In the next few months the office will be getting a nice renovation to make it a gender neutral nursery/child's bedroom. We were given a crib and will get a twin bed if we have older children placed. The office/art room will be downsized dramatically and will join in one room.

Are you going to make them be vegetarian?
This one tickles me. Of course not. I wouldn't force vegetarianism on anyone. It's a personal choice.

Are you having trouble getting pregnant?
This one is possibly the most annoying and its also the most frequently asked. The first few times it didn't bother me a bit, but then it just got old. So simply answered, no. More in depth and perhaps TMI answered, we've never "tried."

Are you going to have biological children?
Usually this one is worded "your own" children. It bugs me too. Any child that lives in my home will be mine. If they are permanently here or only here until their parents get straightened out, I will love them as my own. I have to. It wouldn't be fair otherwise. 

As for the biological child part. Yes, if the Lord says so. We have always said we would start trying this summer. Those plans haven't changed. But, we know that it is completely in God's hands and we are fully trusting him. If we only have foster and adoptive children, then so be it. But if he chooses to bless us with biological children, we'd love that too. They all need the love. :)

Are you prepared? It won't be easy.
This one makes me laugh. Seriously. NO we aren't fully prepared! YES we know this will be the most difficult journey we have EVER been on! But, I firmly believe no one is ever fully prepared for parenthood. Really. You may think you are, but until you experience in your own little world, you won't know. And I know that with God's blessing we'll get through it. And will be better for it in the end!

What is your timeline? 
We started this process on May 16th, 2011. We will have our training in September and will hopefully have a child placed in our home fairly soon after that. Then, its a waiting game. Totally and completely. In 70% of fostering situations the goal is reunification with the biological parents. So, we may get a child in that 70% or one in the other 30% that would more than likely be up for adoption faster. Again, it's all in God's hands.

You all would not believe the amount of paperwork we have done and still have to do. I swear this world would be a better place if all parents had to go through what foster/adoptive parents do! 

Once last thing, this internet is one of the best creations ever. I have "met" the best foster and adoptive parents on twitter and blogs. I don't know what I would have done without them! I have asked SO many questions and I KNOW I will be asking so many more. They probably regret giving me their email! haha! They are always so open and honest. No sugar coating, but still so very supportive. You know who you are and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. The rest of you internet friends are pretty darn awesome too. I have found the most wonderful support system and am so very grateful. 

Love you all.


  1. I'm so excited for y'all! Our close family friends have fostered twin girls since they were tiny babies and just recently got the courts to let them adopt them. It can be long, hard, and drawn out, but so worth it. I will be praying for y'all through this journey. My aunt was a foster child and had it not been for her foster family there is no telling where she would have ended up. Y'all will be wonderful parents!